Amos Gern and Ana Rita Ferreira settled a pharmaceutical malpractice case for $150,000, for a 63-year-old Sussex County resident.

January, 2024 – Our client underwent an unrelated cardiac valve procedure, after which he was discharged from the hospital by his cardiologist with a routine prescription for Lasix for cardiac patients. When our client took the prescription, as negligently filled by the pharmacy, his vitals became unstable, and he appeared to be suffering from a stroke following his prior heart surgery. The pharmacy negligently prescribed the medication to be taken 3 times daily, as opposed to weekly, despite clear instruction by the E-script from his cardiologist. The local police and EMS urgently transported him to the ER, where his condition on admission was described as “pale, aphasic, shaking, and sweating,”  requiring a 4-day admission. Unfortunately, the improper prescription was not identified at that time, as the culprit of his sudden symptoms.  Not realizing the prescription error, following his emergent hospitalization, he took another three doses of the Lasix, as negligently filled by the pharmacy, developing similar emergent symptoms.  His wife again called the local police and EMS. However, our client refused transport to the ER, being terrified to be re-admitted. When an assigned nurse from the hospital incidentally came to his home for routine follow-up related to his original cardiac surgery, the nurse checked his medications and at last discovered the negligent prescription error. As a result of these accidental overdoses, our client was diagnosed with chronic post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, all causally related to the emergent episodes. He then sought psychological care. He was evaluated by our psychiatric expert as suffering from a combination of symptoms resulting from the overdoses which met the criteria for the diagnosis of PTSD, with panic attacks. This condition has resulted in chronic trauma-related symptoms that continue to interfere with his social and occupational functioning on a daily basis. The case was mediated with a retired NJ Superior Court judge, which eventually led to this settlement.