Bruce M. Pitman concentrates his practice exclusively in matrimonial and family law in which he regularly represents clients in cases focusing on divorce, custody, alimony, child support, equitable distribution and all other issues involving family law and domestic relations. He has been engaged in many complex divorce and custody cases. He was selected as a Super Lawyer in 2011.
Bruce graduated from Rutgers University in 1967 and received his Juris Doctorate from New York Law School in 1971. He was admitted to the New Jersey State Bar in 1971, to the New York State Bar in 1977, and to the U.S. Supreme Court Bar in 1977. He has been practicing law for over forty (40) years. He represents clients before the Superior Court of New Jersey and the U.S. District Court of New Jersey. He is a long-term member of the American Inns of Court which is an organization dedicated to the training and education of young lawyers. He is President of the Barry Croland Family Law Inn of Court. He has been appointed by the Superior Court as a law guardian for children of divorce and has lectured at seminars for attorneys. He is appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Rule 1:40 Family Law Mediator. He has tried matters in various other jurisdictions of the United States.
Bruce has additionally represented clients in the area of real estate planning and development, and land use and zoning.
Bruce has handled a number of cases which have resulted in published opinions including Miller v. Estate of Kahn, 140 N.J. Super 177 (App. Div. 1976); State of New Jersey v. Hass, 218 N.J. Super 133 (App. Div. 1987); Rzepiennik v. U.S. Home Corp. (App. Div. 1987); Around The World Merchandisers v. Rayovac, 245 N.J. Super. 337(Law Div. 1990); First Fidelity Bank v. Southeastern Insurance Group, 253 N.J. Super. 439 (Law Div. 1991); Bursztyn v. Burszytn, 379 N.J. Super.385 (App. Div. 2005).
Bruce is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the Essex County Bar Association, and the Union County Bar Association. He is a former Planning Board Member and served as Board Attorney for many years.
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Family Law Litigation and Mediation
- Law Guardians and Guardians Ad Litem, ICLE, 2007
Honors and Awards
Disclaimer: The selection process is conducted by an independent firm that determines which lawyers in New Jersey have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. For further information, as to selection and rating criteria see below:
- New Jersey Super Lawyers®, in the area of Family Law
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President, Barry Croland Family Inns of Court, Designated a Master, 2000 – Present
- Union County Superior Court Early Settlement Panel, Panelist, 1999 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. John L. Ard, J.S.C., Law Clerk, 1971 – 1972
- Hon. William Fillmore Wood, J.S.C., Law Clerk, 1971 – 1972
- State of New Jersey Office of Public Defender, Assistant Public Defender, 1972 – 1974
- Diamond, Pitman, Grossman, Udine & Anzaldi, Associate, 1974 – 1978
- Diamond and Pitman, Partner, 1978 – 1987
- Pitman, Mindas, Grossman, Lee & Moore, P.C., 1987 – 2016
- Sigma Alpha Mu